Latest News

13 March 2024 by   Linnea

Do you need planning permission or building regs?

School refurbishment – do we need planning permission or building regs for alterations in our school?

Planning permission is generally needed for alterations that affect the external appearance of the school, e.g. high fences and gates, canopies or extensions.

Internal alterations do not usually need planning permission, but they may need building regulation approval if they fall into one of these 3 categories:

  1. Removal of a load bearing wall and installation of a beam or lintel
  2. Internal alterations to walls or doors that form a means of escape in case of fire example: walls around staircases and protected routes used as part of the means of escape.
  3. Alterations to below ground drainage

Anything that involves a load bearing wall may also need the services of a structural engineer to calculate the beam or lintol size.  A competent refurbishment partner will be able to advise on the procedure for getting building regulation approval using  either the local authority or an approved inspector. A building inspector may insist on other works being carried out to make sure that the whole project meets building regulations.



Transform your workplace Call us today on 01772 696222, email [email protected] or click to Live Chat